Site icon s/v Windhorse II

Getting Started

It can be really hard to know where to start. The project is so big, there are so many pieces. After agonizing about it for a few days, I realized it doesn’t matter that much where we start. The main thing is to get started! So that’s what we did.

Joe got to work on the painstaking task of removing the old vinyl nonskid from the decks. The vinyl probably severed well for the first 5-6 years. The previous owner extended the life of the nonskid by applying annuals coats of elastomeric paint. By the time we bought the boat, the vinyl was starting to bubble and peel in some places. The overall appearance was poor. After another five years under Florida sun, it was time for the vinyl to go.

Way easier said than done! It took Joe weeks of work to scrape it all off. Then he used many gallons of solvent to remove the thick adhesive residue. Lesson learned: don’t use glue-on nonskid if you expect to own the boat for a long time. Sooner or later you’ll have to replace it, and that will be a mess.

Not only was the vinyl nonskid ugly and starting to fail, it was hot! We burnt our feet walking on it in the early summer sun.

Meanwhile, I got started on some changes in the galley. First up is the sink. The old setup was a small sink and drainboard. Neither actually drained very well. The sink was too small for washing larger pots. The drainboard took up a lot of space without being all that useful. The worst part is that both sit on top of the counter. Any splashed water collects on the counter and will not drain into the sink.

The old sink and drainboard were too small to be useful and trapped water on the countertop.
The new undermount sink is larger and will allow water on the countertop to drain into the sink.

The solution was a larger sink, one just big enough to fit my largest pot. It will mount under the counter, so water won’t puddle around the sink. I would have like a double sink, but there is nowhere near enough room unless they are very small. I think one larger sink is more useful than two small sinks. As it is, I have to bump out the countertop to make room for the sink. It’s not ideal, but should work.

The new countertop shape is shown above. A mahogany fiddle will be added.

The new configuration will require new through-hulls. That means removing the old ones and glassing in the holes. The new ones will get thick backing plates, which are coming soon on the project list.

Exit mobile version